I was recently reading an article about a Uniondale, NY contractor that stole almost $250,000 from homeowners throughout the Queens area and it prompted me to write this blog for my readers. It is very easy to point the finger at a contractor when the consumer feels like they have been done wrong. But some of the responsibility does belong to them as well. Often times these situations could be avoided and these crooks would not have the ability to steal money at all. I am convinced it is a lack of knowledge, and that is what I hope to clear up today.
Here are a few tips to protect you from the crime seeking Derrick Burrell’s of the world:
- First things first, tenure of the company is huge. Do not do business with any company that has not been in business for at least three years.
- Stay within your original budget of course, but do not choose a contractor off of price alone! Sometimes the lower price also means the lower the quality.
- An important part of the contract is a start and finish date. Many contractors will have you pay in installments; make sure the installments do not exceed the work completed. For instance do not pay 50% of a job that is only 10% completed.
- There are crooks everywhere; this is precisely why homeowners need to be familiar with running a background check before any worker comes onto their property for work. A good background check will cost around $50 and give you the information you need to make an educated decision.
- Do Not, I will type this again, Do Not hire a door-to-door traveling contractor looking for work! Honestly, if you agree to what he offers then you can guarantee he will offer shoddy work that will not be worth anything.
I am hoping that even if these tips can help keep one family from being a victim of this type of a crime, my job here is done.
Tags: 203K, 203k benefits, 203k certified contractor, 203k program, Alabama, Arkansas, bathroom design, bathroom remodel, best carpet cleaner Dallas, best carpet cleaners, building contractors Oklahoma, carpet cleaner, carpet cleaners, construction contractors, contract, contractor Florida, electrical contractor Houston, floor contractors, flooring contractors, Florida, general construction, general contractor Alabama, general contractors, Home Improvement, home repair, home repair Missouri, interior and exterior painting, mortgage, real estate management, remodeling contractor, swimming pool maintenance, Truly Noble Services, wish list